close menu

The UK Tier 5 visa. Live, work and travel through the UK

The perfect way to travel through the UK and Europe

This working holiday visa lets the holder work and travel throughout the UK for two years. 1st Contact Australia can assist Australian and New Zealand passport holders, who are living in Australia or New Zealand, with their visa application.

Free Visa Assessment
Shadow outline of family standing together

Enjoy UK life

Suitcase covered in location stickers

Travel the world

British flag coin purse

Earn pounds


The 1st Contact Kickstart Tier 5 service

We complete your online form, ensuring all answers are correct

We give you a 10 step process to follow, including a document checklist and templates

After checking all your forms and documents are correct, we instruct you on how to submit your visa.

How do you qualify for the Tier 5 visa?

The Tier 5 visa has some very specific requirements. It is incredibly important to speak to a professional to avoid having your application denied. To qualify for a UK working holiday visa you must:

  • Intend to be in the UK for anything up to two years
  • Want to work and travel during your stay
  • Have citizenship from an eligible country
  • Not be responsible for any dependants
  • Not have held a Tier 5 or working holiday maker visa before
  • Be between 18 and 30 years of age
  • Have held £2,530 for at least 28 days

Switching from a Tier 5 visa to another UK visa

At the end of your two year working holiday you might want to stay living and working in the UK. To do so you will have to apply for a new visa. You will either have to apply for this new visa from outside or within the UK. It all depends on what visa you are eligible for.

Apply from your home country

Ancestry visa

If you have a UK-born grandparent, you will be able to apply for an Ancestry visa. Once this is granted, you will be able to return to the UK, to live and work.

Tier 2 visa

If you have received a job offer or sponsorship opportunity during your two years in the UK, you can apply for a Tier 2 visa.

If you qualify for either of these visas, you will need to return to your home country to apply for them.

Free visa assessment

Apply from within the UK

If you would prefer to stay in the UK without returning home, there are three visa options which allow you to do this:

Ancestry dependant visa

If you are in a relationship with or married to an Ancestry visa holder, you may become a dependent on their visa. This application may be made from within the UK.

When the Ancestry visa holder qualifies for Indefinite Leave to Remain, you will be eligible to apply at the same time.

EEA family permit

For people who are in a relationship with or married to an EU citizen, there is the option of becoming a dependent on their visa.

Spouse visa

If you are in a relationship with or married to someone who is British or has settled status in the UK, you may apply for a spouse visa. However, this route has certain income threshold requirements: Your spouse must earn at least £18,600 per year in order for you to be eligible to receive this visa.

Free visa assessment

UK visa assessment

Answer a few questions and we'll let you know if you're eligible to live and work in the UK. It takes less than five minutes and it's free of charge or obligation.

Do you like cookies? We do, read why.