close menu

Want to work in Australia? Apply for an employer sponsored Visa

Contact our visa consultants for an obligation-free assessment

Looking to work in Australia?

There are three primary employer sponsored visas for you to choose from. Each visa has different requirements that you’ll need to fulfil.

Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)

Australian or overseas businesses may sponsor and employ staff from other countries with this visa. The success of your visa application relies entirely upon your potential employer’s sponsorship. This visa is only available to people who work in occupations that appear on the Consolidated Skilled Occupations List (CSOL).

Employer sponsored visas have grown in popularity as both the Australian Government and independent businesses have recognized the value of using foreign nationals to fill local labour shortages.

This visa will allow you to work in Australia for up to four years as well as bring your family to work or study in Australia.

The subclass 457 is a temporary visa that can lead to permanent residency via subclasses 186 or 187.


How does the 457 system work?

Standard Business Sponsorship (SBS)

Businesses who wish to employ workers from another country first need to obtain a SBS to use the 457 visa. As each application is assessed by the Department of Immigration, Australian companies who wish to sponsor international applicants need to show that they are legally trading in Australia and have processes in place to train local employees.

Overseas businesses with plans to expand their business in Australia, or with contracts to fulfil in the country, are also able to apply for an overseas business SBS.

The business must declare that they have been unable to find a suitable local worker from the Australian work force.



Employers select the role that needs to be filled from the defined list of skilled occupations. All nominated roles need to meet certain minimum criteria relating to salary and skill level.

Once a role is selected, the Department of Immigration will evaluate the nomination and determine whether it meets their criteria. As nominations are thoroughly examined, it is important that applications are well-prepared and correctly completed.


Visa application

When applying, the prospective employee needs to show that they have the necessary skills, qualifications and experience to fulfil the duties of the nominated role. Due to the relative speed of processing, the 457 visa is one of the more popular visa systems.

Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)

This visa is for skilled workers from outside Australia or skilled temporary residents, such as 457 visa holders, who live and work in Australia. These applicants usually hold positions that appear on the CSOL. The Subclass 186 has three visa streams:


1. The Temporary Residence Transition stream

This is for applicants who are currently in Australia on a 457 visa and have worked for their employer for at least two years. The employer must sponsor the applicant’s permanent residence visa application.


2. The Direct Entry stream

Applicants who are outside of Australia and who have never, or have only briefly, worked in Australia will take this route. A positive skills assessment is necessary to obtain this visa.


3. The Agreement stream

This stream is for applicants who are sponsored by an employer through either a labour or regional migration agreement.

As subclass 186 is a permanent residence visa, it is the end goal of many 457 visa holders.

Additional criteria for the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)

When applying for this visa, you will be assessed on a number of different factors, including age, English language ability, training, health, character and what the market salary rates are.

We have successfully helped applicants with a wide variety of Employer Nominated visas. With offices in the Australia, the UK and South Africa, we are perfectly positioned to assess your eligibility and determine whether you would qualify for the Employer Nominated Scheme.

Australian visa assessment

Answer a few questions and we'll let you know if you're eligible to live and work in Australia. It

Do you like cookies? We do, read why.