close menu

Get a skilled work visa for Australia

There are a variety of work visas for skilled migrants wanting to make a permanent move to Australia.

These visas are points-based and depend on a range of factors that vary depending on what kind of job you apply for, where in Australia you intend to move to and your own personal skills and circumstances.

Get free Visa Assessment

How the Australian points-based system works

The Australian government operates a general skilled migration program: A points-based system where points are awarded based on age, qualification, experience and English language skills. As your occupation is the basis for your eligibility, those holding occupations in demand will have the greatest visa options.


General Skilled Migration visa subclasses:

The General Skilled Migration visas are most common for those who want to permanently live and work in Australia. We provide consultations, assessments and visa services for the General Skilled work visas.

Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)

The Skilled Independent visa is a permanent resident visa. It is the most desirable visa as it gives the holder the freedom and flexibility to live and work anywhere in Australia.

Successful applicants must be under 45 years of age, score at least 65 points and have and have an occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list.

Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190)

The Skilled Nominated visa is a permanent resident visa, only granted to applicants who are nominated by a state or territory government.

The state governments have assessed their own labour market needs and formed lists of occupations in demand. In addition to receiving state nomination, the successful applicant must be under 45 years of age, score at least 65 points and have an occupation on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL). State nomination adds an additional five points to an applicant’s score, which could make the difference in meeting the points threshold.

Specialist immigration advice and services

Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491)

The Skilled Work Regional visa will allow you to live and work in specified regional areas in Australia for up to five years. To qualify, you’ll need to either be sponsored by an eligible relative or be nominated to apply by a state or territory government agency.

You must score 65 points or more and be under the age of 45 when you apply, and your occupation must be on the list of eligible occupations. After three years of living in Australia on the Skilled Work Regional visa, you’ll be able to apply for a permanent residence visa.

Designated regional areas include:

  • South Australia
  • Tasmania
  • Western Australia
  • Australian Capital Territory
  • Victoria (except the Melbourne metropolitan)
  • Queensland (except the greater Brisbane area)
  • Northern Territory
  • New South Wales (except Sydney)

Skilled Recognised Graduate visa (subclass 476 visa)

This visa is specifically aimed at engineering graduates, under the age of 31, who wish to gain up to 18 months of skilled work experience in Australia.

You will need to have completed an engineering degree at a recognised institution within the last two years. This can be either a university or a technikon. You will also need to have had a major sequence of study, or a specialisation in:

  • Civil engineering
  • Structural engineering
  • Chemical engineering
  • Environmental engineering
  • Electrical and electronics engineering
  • Mechanical, production and plant engineering
  • Mining and material engineering

Considering the move to Australia? If you’d like more information, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us at or by calling +27 (0) 21 657 1526.

Our registered migration agents can offer you expert advice and representation for moving to and gaining permanent residency in Australia.

You can also take our free Australian visa assessment.

Australian visa assessment

Answer a few questions and we'll let you know if you're eligible to live and work in Australia. It

Do you like cookies? We do, read why.