UK spouse visa basics
The UK spouse visa covers three different partner statuses: Married partners, unmarried partners and fiancés. The relationship or marriage may be heterosexual or same-sex.
Types of partners
You can apply for a spouse visa if you are lawfully married to a British citizen or settled person.
You may apply for this visa if you are in a long-term relationship with a British citizen or settled person. You will also have to demonstrate that you have been living together for two years.
You can apply for this visa if you are engaged to a British citizen or settled person. You must show that you intend to get married or become civil partners within six months.
In order to apply for a UK spouse visa, you must:
- Have met in person (not just online)
- Intend to live together permanently
- Meet the financial requirement
- Meet the English language requirement
- Have satisfactory accommodation in the UK